Black pudding potato cake with fried egg and roasted tomatoes
These little potato cakes work really well with black pudding, and with an egg on top you’ve got a lovely little cooked breakfast. The juice from the roasted tomatoes brings a sharpness to cut through.
Method (serves 4)
- Sweat the onion for 5 minutes in a frying pan with half the oil before adding it to the cold mashed potato and mixing together thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper and then gently stir in the black pudding, being careful not to break it up too finely.
- Shape into 4 large or 8 small cakes and dust with flour before heating the remaining oil in the pan and browning the cakes on either side.
- Transfer them to a lined baking tray together with the bunches of cherry tomatoes.
- Bake at 180ºC for 7-10 minutes until the tomatoes are just bursting and the potato cakes are hot through.
- Meanwhile, fry the eggs in the frying pan and serve each person with one or two black pudding cakes topped with a fried egg and bunch of cherry tomatoes.
- 300g Cold mashed potato
- 3 Large slices of black pudding, diced
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 1tbsp Sunflower oil
- Flour for dusting
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Small bunches of cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste