Croque madame with spinach
This is a lovely, rich and very tasty breakfast, with the crunch of the spinach leaves and toast breaking up the smooth cheese and egg yolk. A winter favourite.
Method (Serves 1)
- Lightly toast the bread.
- Spread mustard over one side of each piece then top one with the ham and half of the cheese, and the other with just cheese.
- Grill both pieces for about 3 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and turning golden.
- Meanwhile, fry an egg to your liking.
- Assemble the two piece of toast so there is ham and cheese in the middle, and just cheese on top, and then gently position the fried egg on the top.
- Serve with the spinach, lightly tossed with a bit of olive oil and white wine vinegar.
- 2 Slices crusty white bread
- 2 tsp Wholegrain mustard
- 2 Thin slices ham, trimmed
- 50g Mature cheddar, grated
- ½ tsp White wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 1 Egg
- Handful baby-leaf spinach