Homemade baked beans with roasted sweet potato wedges
This is not an affront to the mighty tinned baked bean, but an alternative for special occasions! The result is quite different but utterly delicious, and is the perfect accompaniment to a sweet potato. You will find it hard to stop eating this…
Method (serves 4)
- Fry the bacon lardons in the sunflower oil until they are slightly browned.
- Add the chopped onion and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Taste, and add some salt and pepper to your preference.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180ºC and cut the sweet potatoes into wedges.
- Toss them in olive oil with a pinch or two of salt and pepper and lay them out on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Roast in the oven for 20-30 mins until cooked and serve on a plate with the beans.
- 150g Smoked bacon lardons
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tin of cannellini beans
- 200ml Stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Sunflower oil
- 4 Sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper