Quinoa with Salmon and Pesto Dressing
This dish, high in Omega-3 rich protein is delicious served either hot or cold. Why not prepare it in advance? It’s great for a quick and healthy lunch or light dinner.
Method (serves 2)
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly in cold water.
- Add quinoa to 400mls of boiling water, stir and cover with a lid, on a low heat simmer for 20 minutes until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, drain off excess water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- When ready, separate the grains with a fork.
- Add spinach to quinoa and cover to allow spinach to wilt.
- Chop tomatoes and grapes in half, combine with flaked salmon, raisins and add the sesame seeds.
- Place the pesto in the yogurt and stir well, add black pepper to taste.
- After 10 minutes standing, test the quinoa to ensure the grains are firm but without crunch. Now add in the coriander, basil and dill.
- You can serve the quinoa with the pesto/yogurt mixture separately or combine.
- Drizzle with lemon or lemon infused olive oil.
• 150g quinoa
• 1 bunch of coriander
• 1 handful of basil
• 1 handful of dill
• 1tbsp/13g raisins
• 10 grapes
• 2 handfuls of spinach
• 14 cherry tomatoes
• 1 tin of salmon; 213g, drained
• 1/2 bunch fresh coriander, chopped – or more if required
• 2 tbsp sesame seeds
• 2 tbsp garlic free pesto, green with pine kernels (or red)
• 200ml soya yogurt
• Freshly ground black pepper & salt – to taste
• Lemon juice or lemon infused olive oil – to drizzle
2 tbsp plain pouring yogurt per person
Toast the sesame seeds to have a different flavour
Instead of sesame seeds use pine nuts
Recipe devised by Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist Alison Clark for the 2015 Gut Week Campaign